Skip to main content

A Trip I've Taken Once Before

Tonight I sit and write as we make a trip that we made once before five years ago. Tonight we make the trip from Philadelphia to Cape May to attend yet another Coast Guard gravitation. As I sit here knowing my heart should be filled with pride for my youngest brother in law, it is instead filled with heartbreak. See my world looks a whole lot different than it did five years ago.
See five years ago we were beginning our journey with the Coast Guard. I was a proud girlfriend in the crowd watching my handsome boyfriend pursue his passion. He stood proudly as he graduated from basic training. He was so excited for the adventures that were to come. He could not wait to report to New Orleans for his first station. He has every intention to follow his heart's desire to become a rescue diver. And for me, I knew that I had signed up to someday be his loving Coast Guard wife. 
That dream was quickly shattered three years ago this week, and tonight on this car ride I sit resting my feet upon my coastie's wheelchair. So this time in New Jersey things look a lot different.  Tomorrow my coastie will put on his dress blues, and then transfer into his chair. He will present his little brother with his certificate, and then he will wheel away. His brother will report to his first station in New York, while we will return to our home in Denver (a city that was chosen based on his recovery). 
It is not that I am jealous of his little brother, and his adventure with the coast guard. It is that I know how much it meant to my sweet husband, and my heartbreaks for him. I know it will be difficult for him to put on his uniform while not being active. I know it will be devastating to wheel around Cape May, a place he spent eight weeks of his life, running. I know these things, because I know him better than I have ever known anyone. 
Our lives have changed since the accident. Not all of it is bad, in fact most of it is absolutely wonderful. But this, watching my husband hurt, this is bad. This is devastating. 

XOXO, 
B





Comments

  1. This post made me tear up.
    I am glad you're being so positive in a tough situation and although this will be difficult for him, I am sure your husband will put on a brave face for his brother.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

March 30th

The last two months of our lives have been a complete whirlwind of emotion, stress, and utter joy!  On March 19th we were able to endure our first IUI, where I laid very similar to Phoebe in Friend's and prayed with my husband that this would be our first and last IUI. We went in with hopeful heart's and praying minds, and knew the lord had a plan. The following weekend we went on vacation to San Diego where I unfortunately began  to believe that our IUI had not worked, and that we were not pregnant. I experienced cramps, was grumpy to my poor family, and walked around feeling like Shamu on the beach. So obviously I wasn't pregnant, right... Fast forward to March 30th, two days before I was technically supposed to test. It was a Wednesday night, a Wednesday night where I  obsessively thought about nothing else but that I wasn't pregnant. I did what any mildly obsessed woman going though infertily treatments would do, and tested. I jumped in the bath and pretended th...

It's a Family Tradition

"Traditions are behaviors and actions that you engage in again and again – regular rituals that you perform at the same time and/or in the same way. Traditions can be big or small, but they differ from routines and habits in that they are done with a specific  purpose  in mind and require  thought  and  intentionality . Meg Cox, the author of  The Book of New Family Traditions , defines family ritual as “any activity you purposefully repeat together as a family that includes  heightened attentiveness  and  something extra that lifts it above the ordinary ruts .” Traditions, when done right, lend a certain magic, spirit, and texture to our everyday lives." Brett and Kate McKay As we approach the wonderful holiday season my heart begins to journey  back to childhood memories and the family traditions that make those memories so perfect. I come from a large family filled with lots of cousins, tons of laughter, and of course many tradit...

Remembering November

Well, hello there November, and yes I am aware that it is November 3rd and well I should have written this three days ago, but anyway  November has always been one of my absolute favorite months, for well the obvious, Thanksgiving, fall decorations, and MY BIRTHDAY! Which is in two days, I'm like V for Vendetta REMEMBER, REMEMBER THE 5TH OF NOVEMBER. All of these awesome things are reasons to absolutely adore November, however two years ago November also developed a very different feeling.  November 10th will mark the two year anniversary since Kaleb's accident. And though I will always love November I now have a heavy heart as we fast approach that day. It is as though every birthday will in some odd way be a reminder of my 21st which is what I was celebrating when I received the phone call that forever changed our lives. Every Thanksgiving as joyous and wonderful as it will be will also remind me of the saddes...