Skip to main content

Food for Thought


 Nancy Guthrie says it well: “If your faith is real, you will not fall away. Not because you are strong or because your faith is strong but because God has his firm grip on you and he will not let go. You will remain in him because you are his forever.”

I often think back to my days in college, and oh my goodness do I sometimes wonder how I survived. I was well a wild one. I lived fully and completely in the world and of the world. I tried very hard to avoid my church home, and all the amazing loving members in it. My days were spent feeling ill from the night before's drinking, and my nights were spent trying to see how much alcohol I could ingest. My heart was anything but guarded, and I sought the attention of every man that would say hi to me. It was a dark and lonely time, and yet here I am. 

I survived, and have learned so very much from those days. I look back though and realized that even though I turned my back from The Lord, he never turned his back on me. He put godly men and women in my life that I could learn from. He provided people to hold me when I didn't want to be held, and to pray for me when I wanted to run as far away from it as I could. I had spent enough time in the word pre chaos that I 100% knew the difference between good and evil, and knew what I was doing was wrong. 

The bible says. 
Hebrews 5:11-14
11 About this we have much to say, and it is chard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again dthe basic principles of the oracles of God. You need emilk, not solid food, 13 for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is fa child. 14 But solid food is for gthe mature, for those who have their powers hof discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

When I look back at the person I was only two years ago I praise The Lord for saving my soul. He is the reason that I sit here today and can worship him in this storm. His hold on me is what keeps me, not my grip on him. He has blessed us with this beautiful book filled with his word, that can help us grow and learn. 

This perfect amazing book is our food, and the more time we spend devoted to this book the stronger we become. When we were infants we required milk for our nourishment, and as we grew so did our necessities of food as well. Slowly we developed the capability to eat solids, and for our pallet to develop. Until you reach the point where not only are you eating and growing from your daily nourishment, but you are cooking and sharing with others. 

As a Christians we need to be daily in the word, feeding our spiritual growth. We need to not let our relationship with The Lord die because we starved ourself from a relationship with our heavenly father. We need to be growing in community, and to be teaching. We need to know the word so we can stand against sin, and recognize 100% the difference between good and evil. We need to be so in love with The Lord that we want to continue to get to know him through daily time with him and his teachings.

I encourage you to commit more time in the word this week, and I cannot wait to see where it grows you. He has given us the recipe, now we just need to read it.

XOXO,
B




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 30th

The last two months of our lives have been a complete whirlwind of emotion, stress, and utter joy!  On March 19th we were able to endure our first IUI, where I laid very similar to Phoebe in Friend's and prayed with my husband that this would be our first and last IUI. We went in with hopeful heart's and praying minds, and knew the lord had a plan. The following weekend we went on vacation to San Diego where I unfortunately began  to believe that our IUI had not worked, and that we were not pregnant. I experienced cramps, was grumpy to my poor family, and walked around feeling like Shamu on the beach. So obviously I wasn't pregnant, right... Fast forward to March 30th, two days before I was technically supposed to test. It was a Wednesday night, a Wednesday night where I  obsessively thought about nothing else but that I wasn't pregnant. I did what any mildly obsessed woman going though infertily treatments would do, and tested. I jumped in the bath and pretended th...

Remembering November

Well, hello there November, and yes I am aware that it is November 3rd and well I should have written this three days ago, but anyway  November has always been one of my absolute favorite months, for well the obvious, Thanksgiving, fall decorations, and MY BIRTHDAY! Which is in two days, I'm like V for Vendetta REMEMBER, REMEMBER THE 5TH OF NOVEMBER. All of these awesome things are reasons to absolutely adore November, however two years ago November also developed a very different feeling.  November 10th will mark the two year anniversary since Kaleb's accident. And though I will always love November I now have a heavy heart as we fast approach that day. It is as though every birthday will in some odd way be a reminder of my 21st which is what I was celebrating when I received the phone call that forever changed our lives. Every Thanksgiving as joyous and wonderful as it will be will also remind me of the saddes...

It's a Family Tradition

"Traditions are behaviors and actions that you engage in again and again – regular rituals that you perform at the same time and/or in the same way. Traditions can be big or small, but they differ from routines and habits in that they are done with a specific  purpose  in mind and require  thought  and  intentionality . Meg Cox, the author of  The Book of New Family Traditions , defines family ritual as “any activity you purposefully repeat together as a family that includes  heightened attentiveness  and  something extra that lifts it above the ordinary ruts .” Traditions, when done right, lend a certain magic, spirit, and texture to our everyday lives." Brett and Kate McKay As we approach the wonderful holiday season my heart begins to journey  back to childhood memories and the family traditions that make those memories so perfect. I come from a large family filled with lots of cousins, tons of laughter, and of course many tradit...